Processed by Christopher Russell
Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Phone: (617) 226-1245
© 2019, Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS. All rights reserved.
Machine-readable finding aid created by Christopher Russell in February 2019. Finding aid was encoded by Lindsay Sprechman in March 2019. Description is in English.
|Creator:||Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.)|
|Title:||Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records|
|Abstract:||The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England was founded in 1927 to provide a place for those afflicted with tuberculosis to recover. It was a non-sectarian hospital that provided for leisure, the latest medicine and treatments, and recreation. This collection contains brochures, event programs, newspaper articles, and newsletters.|
|Languages:||The collection is in English.|
|Repository:||Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS|
|Location:||Located in Boston, Mass.|
Photo of the Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England from a 1940 brochure.
The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England was founded and chartered in 1927 by Bella Doxer, Dora Lukatch, Eva Blender, and Fannie Bocholtz. A facility in Rutland was dedicated in 1936. It had a number of specialists and physicians, along with a dental clinic, x-ray machines, and breathing machines. Dr. Moses J. Stone, who worked with the sanatorium for 16 years until his death in 1952, served as its first chief of staff. The facility promoted a Jewish environment and served kosher food, but was non-sectarian and open to all. Funding was mainly provided by members and donations, with minimal charges to patrons.
The sanatorium looked into opening a facility in Boston and changed its name to the New England Sinai Hospital in 1952. That year, it purchased land at 215 Forest Hills Street in Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood and began a campaign to raise $500,000 to renovate the building into a new hospital. The new facility opened in 1955. In 1976, the New England Sinai Hospital moved to Stoughton, Massachusetts, where it operated as a post-acute care facility for those recovering from serious illness. In 2012 the hospital was purchased by the Steward Health Care System and added to the Steward network of hospitals.
Material from the collection.
Weisman, Robert. “Steward to acquire Stoughton's N.E. Sinai: Firm drawn to hospital's post-acute care services,” Boston Globe, April 4, 2012, B.7.
“New England Sinai Hospital Plans April 29, 30 Event,” Jewish Advocate, April 4, 1963, 5.
|1927||The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England is founded.|
|1936||The organization opens its facility in Rutland.|
|1952||The organization buys land at 215 Forest Hills Street in Boston.|
|1952||The organization changes its name to the New England Sinai Hospital.|
|1954||The organization moves to its building in Boston.|
|1976||The organization moves to Stoughton,|
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains brochures, newspaper clippings, events materials, and newsletters documenting the outreach and funding efforts of the Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England. Included are several brochures soliciting funds, a 1931 ticket to the sanatorium’s third annual ball, a 1928 concert program, and a 1949 annual yearbook, Also included are newspaper articles announcing the dedication of the Rutland facility and solicitations of support, as well as a newsletter.
The collection is arranged into a single series as follows:
- Series I: Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records, undated, 1928-1954
Access and Use
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
Published citations should take the following form:
Identification of item, date (if known); Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records; JHCI-0004; box number; folder number; Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at NEHGS, Boston, Mass.
Some acquisition information is unknown; 1949 anniversary luncheon year book donated by Steve Greenberg in 2018.
This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series I: Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records, undated, 1928-1954
Scope and Content:
See Collection Scope and Content Note.
|1||4||News Clippings||circa 1936-1945|